This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these link, at no extra cost to you.
Hosting a karaoke party is a great way to get friends and family together to celebrate an occasion or just to have a fun night together! It does take a bit of planning though. That’s why we have put together this ultimate guide full of tips and ideas to help you plan the perfect karaoke party, no matter what your budget is.
- Essential karaoke kit
- Song List
- More Games and Entertainment
- Karaoke Party Theme
- Party Food
- Drinks and Shots
- Decorations and Supplies
- Party Lights
- An MC
- Strict Budget
- Guest List and Invitations
Essential Karaoke Party Equipment
DIY Karaoke Setup
Karaoke Machine Setup
DIY Karaoke Setup
Easy to set up because it’s an all-in-one system
Allows you to choose the perfect pieces of equipment for your needs
Fast to connect, most karaoke machines can be setup in under ten minutes
More compatible with a range of audio software such as YouTube, karaoke apps and CDs
Budget karaoke machines are available to make them a cost-effective option
Helps to create a higher quality sound output for professional use
Choosing a Karaoke Machine
Choose the Karaoke Party Songs
Make it a Competition
Keep Your Guests Entertained
Guess the Song
Mix it Up
Put pieces of paper with different song titles and pieces of paper with famous singers on in separate bowls, mix each bowl up and then get a player to choose a piece of paper from each. They then have to perform the song in the style of the famous singer. This is really funny if you choose plenty of different song and artist styles. For example, you can get a Meatloaf style performance of Taylor Swift’s Love Story to give you plenty of laughs!
Don’t Forget the Lyrics
Back to Back
What You’ll Need:
- Just your drink!
Number of Players: 6+ players
How to Play:
- Two players stand back to back holding a full drink.
- The other players should get in a circle around them and shout “most likely to” style questions
- The two players in the middle can then drink if they think they are the most likely
- If they are the only one to drink, then you can move onto the next question
- If neither player drinks to the question, the players must both drink
- But if both players drink to the question, then both of them must drink again!
- The game continues until one player finishes their drink.
Drunk Pass the Parcel
What You’ll Need:
- A small prize
- Wrapping paper
- Some music
Number of Players: 10+ people
How to Play the Drinking Game Version of Pass the Parcel:
- First you’ll need to wrap the prize in a layer of wrapping paper. Wrap the present again but underneath the layer, have a truth or dare written on a small piece of paper. Repeat this so there are around 6-10 layers.
- Get all the players in a circle and pass the parcel around until the DJ stops the music.
- Whichever player the music stops on, must unwrap a layer and do the truth or dare written on the paper.
- Keep going until someone unwraps the prize!
Karaoke Party Themes
Karaoke Party Food
- Charceuterie boards
- Loaded nachos
- Jalapeno poppers
- Cheese board
- Chicken wings
- Halloumi skewers
- Baguette pizza
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Deviled eggs
- Prawn Cocktail
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Dough balls
Karaoke Party Drinks
Long Island Iced Tea
- Rum 17.5ml
- Vodka 17.5ml
- Gin 17.5ml
- Tequila 17.5ml
- Orange Liqueur 17.5ml
- Sugar Syrup 17.5 ml
- Lemon Juice 17.5ml
- Lime Juice 17.5ml
Lemon and Basil Spritzer (non-alcoholic)
- Soda/ lemonade 250ml
- Basil leaves
- Sugar syrup 25ml
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
Cut the lemon into quarters, add a few basil leaves and the sugar syrup and then muddle in a chilled glass. Fill the glass with ice and top with soda or lemonade.
Why not offer some shots too? They’re a fun addition to a karaoke party and can be used as prizes or forfeits for any of the singers, depending on how they taste! We’ve put together a list of the 10 best party shot recipes, so take a look! But here’s a couple of great karaoke party shot recipes for some inspiration.
Mad Dog Shot Recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1 oz (30ml) Vodka
- 3/4 oz (22.5 ml) Raspberry syrup
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- Add the raspberry syrup to the shot glass first
- Layer the vodka on top by pouring it over the back of a spoon
- Add a few dashes of hot sauce on the top
Kamikaze Shot Recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1 oz (30 ml) Vodka
- 1/4 oz (7.5 ml) Orange liqueur (blue curacao or Cointreau works best!)
- 1/4 oz (7.5 ml) Fresh Lime Juice
How alcoholic is a Kamikaze shot? 2/3
How to make a Kamikaze shot:
- Shake all the ingredients in a shaker with ice
- Strain into two chilled shot glasses
21st Birthday Party Decorations and Supplies
Karaoke Party Lights
Adding some party or disco lighting to your karaoke night is a great idea to create the mood. If you’ve chosen a karaoke machine with built-in party lights, then you’re good to go. But if not, then think about getting some disco lights to project onto the dancefloor area or stage. It’s almost an essential at any karaoke party and is a sure fire way to get everyone in the spirit! Here’s our favourite karaoke machine that includes an impressive light show!
Head over to our 20 favourite karaoke machines to find the best options that include this feature.
Get Someone on the Microphone
Set a Budget
Sort out your Invitations
Best Time for a Karaoke Party
Choose the Venue
- Date and Time
- Dress Code
- Plus One Policy
Our favourite way of creating professional looking invitations easily is to use Canva. It’s a website that allows you to create a range of graphic design media using a range of ready-made templates. They look great, are really easy to create and you can print out as many as you need.
If you want an easy and quick way of sending your invitations, make a Facebook event. It’ll allow you to add everyone in one go, and keeps a track of everyone’s response so you know exactly who’s coming.
So that’s it! Now you have plenty of ideas to plan the perfect karaoke party. We hope you have a great time!
Don’t forget to take a look at our party planning timeline to make sure you’ve got everything covered. It’ll tell you everything you need to do at each stage of the party planning process so you can create an amazing party without any stress or worry about forgetting anything! It even includes a free printable party planning checklist to make sure you stay on track.
And have a look at the 20 best karaoke machines.