This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these link, at no extra cost to you.
Unicorns are all the rage recently, so why not host a unicorn themed party and get involved in the trend? It’s a great party theme idea for younger children and there are plenty of ideas you can choose from to make your child’s birthday party the perfect event!
- Party food
- Birthday cake
- Party drinks
- Games and Activities
- Party entertainment
- Party bags or favours
If you’re looking for more help planning your child’s birthday, check out our ultimate children’s party checklist. It’s got everything you need to plan a great day, and it even includes a free printable party planning checklist to keep you on track!
Unicorn Party Decoration Ideas
Our 10 favourite unicorn party decoration ideas
- Balloon garlands are perfect for any children’s birthday party. They can be arranged across a wall behind the party food or used to make a statement entrance.
- A themed banner is an essential kid’s party decoration. Add plenty of glitter and bright colours to match the theme and get your child involved making it!
- Why not combine your unicorn party with some rainbow decorations like a rainbow canopy at the entrance.
- Adding some glitter and confetti to each party table is a great way to tie your decor in with the unicorn theme. Plus it’s super cheap and easy to buy!
- Grab some miniature unicorn figures from your local toy store or online and use them as table centerpieces.
- Make sure you have a colour scheme for your unicorn party. White, pastel blue, pink and purple always work well but don’t forget to throw in some silver and gold too!
- Get some unicorn themed party supplies like cups, straws, plates and napkins from your local party supply store or online.
- Have some hanging decorations dotted around your venue. For example, tie cardboard stars to some string and dangle them from various points.
- Tissue paper garlands are a super cheap and easy way to decorate your unicorn party. Make sure this DIY decoration is brightly coloured to fit the theme!
- Make your own unicorn photo frame out of card and add a unicorn horn and some eyes/eyelashes to the top and even a tail using some string or tissue paper!
Unicorn Party Food Ideas
Best unicorn party food ideas
- Try your hand at making some unicorn themed cupcakes with brightly coloured frosting, edible glitter and sprinkles.
- Make your own “rainbow popcorn” using a bag of sweet or salty popcorn and adding edible glitter or food colouring.
- Biscuits and cookies are the perfect sweet party snack. Have a go at baking your own using some unicorn cookie cutters.
- If you want to go all out, have a sundae station with different ice cream, sprinkles and sauces so the kids can make their own party dessert.
- Pretzels dipped in icing and then sprinkles make the perfect DIY “fairy wand” party snack.
- The cake pop trend is still going strong so jump on the bandwagon with some unicorn themed cake pops by adding unicorn horns and eyelashes with icing.
- Have a go at making some rainbow jelly pots for a great unicorn party snack. They’re super easy and look great!
- Buy some unicorn cookie cutters and use them to cut sandwiches for a great savory themed party snack.
- S’mores are also another popular party snack that taste and look great. Use some pastel coloured marshmallows to tie them in nicely with the theme.
Unicorn Birthday Cake
- Hire a professional cake maker to print a digital image in icing onto your cake. Either choose a unicorn themed design or your child’s favourite photo for a personalised birthday cake idea.
- If you’re more confident in your baking skills, then why not have a go at making a rainbow cake. It’s a great idea for a unicorn party and can look amazing if you know what you’re doing!
- Turn the birthday cake into a unicorn design with expert icing skills to add eyelashes and use an ice cream cone for the horn. Be creative!
Unicorn Party Drink Recipes
Here are 4 great unicorn party drink recipes you should try!
Shimmery Party Punch (Serves 15)
- 1 litre pineapple juice
- 4 litres of pink lemonade
- Sprinkle of edible shimmer glitter
Simply add the pineapple juice and pink lemonade to a jug with ice and stir in the edible shimmery glitter.
Pink Blueberry Lemonade (Serves 15)
- Lemonade 5 litres
- 250g blueberries
- Sugar syrup 250ml
- Juice from 5 Lemons
Simply muddle the raspberries, lemonade, lemon juice with ice, strain and serve. You could also try garnishing it with raspberries and a lemon slice.
Berry Blast Smoothie (Serves 15)
- 2 Peeled bananas
- Strawberries 500g
- Raspberries 500g
- Blueberries 500g
- Natural yogurt 10 tablespoons
- Runny honey 3 tablespoons
Blend 1500g of ice with the rest of the ingredients and then garnish with some strawberries.
Fresh Strawberry Milkshake (Serves 15)
- 1000g of strawberries
- 1500ml of milk
- 5 large scoops vanilla ice cream
Blend all the ingredients then garnish with some strawberries.
Unicorn Party Games and Activities
- Inflatable Ring Toss: Hop on amazon and pick yourself up an inflatable unicorn ring toss game for a fun activity to play at a kid’s birthday party.
- Pin the Tail on the Unicorn: Add a unicorn theme twist to this classic children’s party game that’s perfect for younger children.
- Unicorn Pintata: This super fun classic game is great for a unicorn party and gets everyone involved and having fun!
- Unicorn Slime: Let the kids have a go at making their own unicorn slime! This is a fun activity that’s great for older children.
- Cookie Decorating: Why not make a cookie decorating station at your child’s unicorn party! Fill it with different cookie shapes, icing and sprinkles. It’s the perfect activity for older children.
- Musical statues
- Pin the tail on the donkey
- Pass the parcel
- Treasure hunt
- Musical chairs
- Hot potato
Unicorn Party Entertainment Ideas
Pamper Party Hire
There are plenty of pamper party services to hire across the country, making this one of the best indoor party ideas for kids. You can choose from a range of packages which can include party food and drinks, makeovers, games, party bags and invitations to make planning your child’s birthday really simple! It’ll cost roughly £20 per child and works best for groups of around 5-10 kids.
Unicorn Party Entertainer
Unicorn party entertainment companies are quite niche, but there are still plenty out there! They’ll help you plan the entire party and provide entertainment, games, prizes, face painting and loads more, depending on which package you choose. It’s a great idea for groups of up to 30 children and will cost around £15-25 per child.
Unicorn Party Bag Ideas
Best Unicorn party bag fillers
- Wands are a great party bag option for a unicorn themed children’s party. They’re quite large so make a good filler but aren’t very expensive when bought in packs.
- Jump online to find some multipacks of small unicorn model figures. There really isn’t a better unicorn party bag filler than this!
- Glitter bath bombs are perfect for older children. They suit the theme really well and are a unique idea for a unicorn party bag filler.
- Unicorn headbands are the perfect budget party bag filler. You can buy them in packs really easily online.
- Costume jewellery is a great idea for older children. It’s perfect if you’re hosting a unicorn/ princess themed party.
- Unicorn sleep masks are a great novelty party bag filler for older children and are really cheap too, you can even make your own!
- Unicorn bookmarks are a fun little party bag filler than you can pick up online easily. There are plenty of designs and you can even get a multi pack so every child gets something a bit different.
- Sweets are always a popular party bag filler. Go for flying saucers and marshmallows to fit the unicorn theme.
Take a look at our ultimate party bag guide for unique ideas, budget party bag fillers, packaging ideas and much more!
How to Plan a Unicorn Theme Party
There are plenty of things you need to think about when planning a unicorn theme party for your child’s birthday. Here are the main things you need to consider.
The best way to stop you from overspending is to set a budget and stick to it. You’ll need to think about the venue, catering, decorations, invitations, games and how many guests you’re inviting.
Once you’ve set a realistic budget, you need to keep a track of your spending, either on paper or by using an excel document. Tracking your spending electronically is the best way to keep an eye on the cost of the party. You’re less likely to lose it and can use excel formulas to easily calculate the amount you’ve spent on each item and how much money you’ve got left.
If you’re on a tight budget, there’s no need to worry. Check out our quick party planning budget tips to help you plan an unicorn party without spending too much!
Do you want the party to be inside or outside? Will you be hiring a venue? If you’re keeping to a strict budget, having your party at home might be the best option. But if you’ve got a big guest list hiring a venue could be a better idea.
Using Microsoft Powerpoint is a super easy way to create party invitations. Get your child involved by asking them to give them out to their friends at school. But make sure to let all the parents know as well!
Time and Date
We think the best time for a children’s birthday party is around 11:00-13:00 or 14:00-16:00. But the best time for each party depends on a lot of different factors. Take a look at the our guide on best time for a children’s birthday party, to decide how long and what time is best for your child’s party.
Order of Events
One of the last things you need to consider when planning your child’s princess party, is the order of events. You’ll need to decide when to serve food, when to play the games and when to cut the cake. Take a look at the best order of events for a children’s birthday party for some help!
So that’s it! Now you should have plenty of ideas to plan an amazing princess party for your child on their birthday!
Don’t forget to take a look at our party planning timeline to make sure you’ve got everything covered. It’ll tell you everything you need to do at each stage of the party planning process so you can create an amazing birthday for your child without any stress or worry about forgetting anything! It even includes a free printable party planning checklist to make sure you stay on track.